The average cost of a wedding nationally is about $28,400 according to CNN Money. While this is a once in a lifetime event, you shouldn’t be expected to be indebted for a lifetime.
Here are a few money saving ideas from the Maine Wedding Planner:
1. Wedding programs – This is almost like taking dollar bills and tossing them in the trash. 99% of people do NOT save these. Print a couple of copies of your wedding program on fancy paper using your home computer..
2. Bathroom baskets – These are rarely used in Maine, but again, money is better spent elsewhere.
3. Out of Town guest bags – While a nice thought and gesture, most people forget to bring them home from the reception and you’re stuck with a bunch of items you may end up tossing anyway.
4. Full open bar – Alcohol is expensive on its own, but when it’s free it may cost you a small fortune. It can potentially cause problems from people that over-drink or that drive while impaired. In Maine, the host of the party and the bartender is responsible if an intoxicated driver is out on the road.
5. Pew bows/flowers – no one notices once they sit down, besides, the ceremony location you’ve picked is already beautiful.
6. Chair covers – Placing your money in a fireplace would be less wasteful.
7. Outrageously expensive invitations – Yes, you need to invite people but there are ways to do this and be frugal.
8. Ornate centerpieces – Many people “forget” to bring theirs home.
Save money by not wasting it on items that people will never remember. Instead, spend your time and money on aspects that truly affect how much you and your guests ENJOY the day.